Athletics Canada announces 2018 High School Scholarship program
Athletics Canada understands the importance of introducing and keeping youth involved in athletics. As a result, the Athletics Canada Foundation is pleased to announce funding for two scholarships for 2018 graduating high school student-athletes.
The $5,000 scholarships will be awarded to one male and one female multi-sport athlete with a passion for athletics who is graduating from high school and committed to continuing athletic and academic pursuits in Canada.
Lyle McKellar, President, School Sport Canada, "School Sport Canada is pleased to partner with Athletics Canada in announcing the Athletics Canada Foundation Scholarship available to student athletes from across Canada. High School team rosters for athletics and cross country make up a large percentage of student participation in Canadian school sport. Many of the students on these rosters are classic examples of multi-sport athletes learning the skills of citizenship through school sport competition. A scholarship like this will further enhance the opportunity for the development of these student athletes."
- Click to read about Mark Bujnowski, winner of the inaugural ACF High School Scholarship program
"We look forward to continuing our efforts in supporting athletes. Often, athletes can’t afford to go to school and participate in sport. The ACF scholarship program ensures that recipients do not lose that opportunity," said Rob Guy, Athletics Canada Chief Executive Officer.
To learn more about the selection criteria please see below. The application process can be accessed by clicking here.
Athletics Canada’s commitment to supporting high school athletics does not end with these Foundation scholarships. For the fourth year in a row, www.athleticscanada.tv will produce and webcast live coverage of the ASAA High School Track and Field Championships, B.C. High School Sport Track and Field Championships and OFSAA Track and Field and Cross Country Championships.
Athletics Canada Foundation Scholarship
Athletics Canada Foundation is funding two $5,000 scholarships for high school student athletes annually; one male and one female. School Sport Canada and its member associations are fully in support of this initiative.
The purpose of the scholarship aligns with Athletics Canada Foundation’s three pillars:
- Getting youth involved in sport, particularly Athletics
- Keeping youth involved in Athletics
- Promoting excellence and allowing our athletes to be the best they can be
With that in mind, Athletics Canada and School Sport Canada invite applications from student athletes who:
- Have a passion for Track & Field/Cross Country and wish to continue in the sport into post-secondary
- Will study in Canada
- Who are multisport high school athletes (mandatory requirement)
- Are graduating high school in June 2018
- Can elaborate on their Athletic plans in post-secondary, and why they should be chosen for this scholarship
- Be graduating Grade 12 students (Grade 11 in Quebec)
- Be planning on entering a post-secondary institution in Canada and competing on that institution’s Cross Country and/or Track & Field team.
- Have been multi-sport athletes in their high school (being on the cross country and track teams is sufficient, but special consideration will be given to students who have also participated in other sports for their school).
- Students will need to provide a 250-500 (max) essay. In the essay, students will be asked to “tell their story.” i.e. why should the committee choose them and what $5,000 will mean to them in real terms. (We are looking for more than “I will put it towards my tuition.”)
- Indicate how they currently “give back” to their community and what plans they have to continue in Track & Field/Cross Country after high school (100 words max.)
- Provide a resume highlighting their school athletic accomplishments, community sport accomplishments (as applicable to this application) and a maximum of one reference letter from a teacher or community coach.
Applications are to be submitted to Athletics Canada via good form at this link. A selection committee will nominate the top male and top female candidates.
- Statement on Community service
- Essay (250-500 words max)
- Maximum one letter of reference
April 10, 2018 > Application process begins
May 10, 2018 > Deadline for Application Forms to be submitted to Athletics Canada
May 20, 2018 > Provincial/Territorial nominations to be submitted to National Selection Committee (one male, and one female from 10 provinces and 3 territories)
May 24, 2018 > National Selection Committee selects (2) student athletes for the $5000 Athletics Canada Scholarship.
May 26, 2018 > Scholarship winners will be contacted.
June 2018 > Scholarship Presentations will be made during the respective provincial/territorial Track & Field Championship.